A Very Fine Quality Single English Porcelain Royal Worcester Nautilus Shell Vase mounted with a Salamander, supported with brown enamelled coral branches ending on a spreading circular base with moulded naturalistic rocks and shells, decorated in colours with lavish gilding.
Condition: Mint condition.
Base mark for late Nineteenth Century.
Height: 8.5" (21.5cm). Width: (at widest) 6.75” (17cm). Diameter: (base) 5" (12.75cm).
Shipped to Via Valle Corteno, Rome, Italy.
Royal Worcester: Among the most popular of the English porcelain factories among collectors is Royal Worcester. The Worcester porcelain company was founded in 1751.
The First Period of Worcester (1751-76) is sometimes called the Dr. Wall period after John Wall, one of the founders and major shareholders. During this period, Worcester was using the formula for soft paste porcelain which was obtained when they took over Lund's Bristol Porcelain works in 1752.
Worcester also introduced the use of transfer printing on porcelain in 1757, which reduced the need for hand painting which was time consuming and expensive.
In 1783 Thomas Flight purchased the factory for his sons Joseph & John. This period led to a change in the porcelain paste used, achieving a much better, whiter body. The style of decoration during this period became much more neoclassical in style.
In 1793 Martin Barr became a partner in the firm. As the partnership changed so did the names, Barr, Flight, Barr (1807-13), Flight Barr, Barr (1813-40).
In 1840 Worcester amalgamated with the Chamberlain’s factory, also located at Worcester, but still producing from both works. Worcester eventually moved its entire operations into the more up to date Chamberlain's factory in 1847, becoming known as Chamberlain's Worcester. In 1852 W.H. Kerr joined the firm, which was renamed Kerr & Binns.
In 1862, it was renamed the Royal Worcester Porcelain Company, and more everyday works were produced.
In 1976 the company merged with Spode and the company reduced its staff from 2003 to 2005, with the company going into administration in 2008 and then ceasing trading in 2009. The trading name and brands (including Spode), but not the factories in Stoke-on-Trent, were acquired by Portmeiron Pottery Group.