An Extremely Rare Irish Hand Carved Bog Oak Framed Wall Palque, exquisitely carved in relief, of good size proportions, mid Nineteenth Century, of outstanding quality and condition. Firmly attributed to Cornelius Goggin 13 Nassau Street, Dublin Ireland.
The central reserve depicting carvings of an Irish Wolfhound, Celtic Cross, a Round Tower and an Irish Hearp all within a surround of carvings depicting Shamrocks, leaves and berries. The plaque is attached to a green baise background and framed with an ebonised wooden frame with silver slip.
Condition: Good condition with no losses to carvings, nice surface patination, green baise and frame are later replacements. This piece was never glazed.
Height: (entire including frame) 17.5” (45cm). Width: (entire including frame) 14.75" (37cm). Depth: 1" (2.5cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Affordable fixed charge Worldwide Store to door shipping
Provenance: James Adam's Auctioneers Dublin Ireland.
Country House Collections Sale held at Slane Castle Co Meath, Ireland. October 2010.
Irish Bog Oak is a rare timber excavated from deep underground, usually as a by-product of turf cutting, or when bogland is drained for agricultural use. The wood has been preserved due to the unique conditions of the bog, and is is usually jet black in colour. Ireland, in the 19th century, had a thriving bog wood industry in Dublin, with representation also in other main cities and in the tourist towns such as Killarney. It was a highly desirable material with pieces ranging from emblematic jewellery, book ends and candlesticks to intricately carved suites of furniture.
In the 19th century Neo-Celtic style reflected the growing fascination with Irelands ancient, cultural and artistic past. This was a decorative style based on Celtic motifs and designs characterized by the use of symbols such as the shamrock, Irish harp, round tower and wolfhound, with interlacing patterns incorporating Gaelic script from the Book of Kells.
Cornelius Goggin moved to Dublin in 1849, where he set up business in the city Centre. In the 1853 Dublin Exhibition, he showed a candelabrum in bog oak Irish silver, he also exhibited bracelets, brooches, necklaces, bookstands, chess boards and other articles and in bog oak. By 1852 Cornelius Goggin had moved to 13 Nassau Street, where he ran a Bog Oak and Killarney Wood warehouse until his death on 1st July 1865. He had also become purveyor to her Majesty. A bog oak inkstand, in the shape of an owl, by Goggin, is on display in the National Museum of Ireland.