Stylish Art Nouveau American Sterling Silver heavy gauge circular Centerpiece, Fruit Bowl of outstanding quality and generous size. Last quarter of the Nineteenth Century. Made by one of the most famous Silversmiths of all time Tiffany & Company
TIFFANY & Co. Pattern No. 13780 for date 1898. STERLING SILVER 925-1000.
Directors letter “T” for Charles L Tiffany (1892-1902).
The richly embossed shaped rim with lavish decoration depicting Irish three- and four-leaf shamrocks which give Irish interest and makes this item quite rare.
Condition: Good allover possibly had little use, a few dark spots here and there. Nice clear hallmarks, see image.
Diameter: (at top rim) 9.25” (23.5cm). Height: 2.5” (6.25cm).
Total Weight: (an impressive) 13.4ozs. (378gramms).
Condition: Superb condition with no imperfections with clear crisp hallmarks. Fully loaded, original firm fitting drip pans which are each marked.
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Affordable Worldwide fixed price Store to door shipping.
Tiffany & Company, a brief history:
The Tiffany dynasty was founded in 1837 at 259 Broadway in New York City by Charles Louis Tiffany and partner John B. Young.
It began not as a jewelry & silver emporium, but as a purveyor of stationery and fancy goods under the name Tiffany & Young. Although America was in a deep economic recession, the store soon acquired a respected name and flourished with its quality merchandise imported from Europe, India and the Orient.
In 1841, a new partner, J. L. Ellis joined the firm and the name changed to Tiffany, Young & Ellis. The first of the Tiffany 'Blue Book' catalogs appeared in 1845 and with it the first indications of silver merchandise carried; a small range of personal items and all, almost certainly, imported.
The firm expanded to larger quarters at 271 Broadway in 1847, the move enabled a significant increase in the retailing of silver and jewelry. It is here that American made silver finally took its place alongside the Tiffany name.
The goods were made mostly by New York City silversmiths and often bore their maker's marks, as well as the Tiffany retailer's mark.
1851 was an important year in the history of American silver, Tiffany, Young & Ellis, seeking to give their silver goods distinction, became the first American firm to introduce the use of the English Sterling (.925) standard in American made silver.
Deciding that they wanted more control, they contracted with the firm of John C. Moore, one the finest American holloware silversmithies, to produce exclusively for Tiffany's.
Both Young & Ellis retired in 1853, giving Charles Tiffany control of the firm, again he moved it to larger quarters at 550 Broadway and the name was changed to that which we know today, Tiffany & Company.
Over the next two decades, Tiffany worked closely with J. C. Moore and, increasingly with his son, Edward Chandler Moore, who had fully taken the reins of Moore concern in the 1860's. Together, the artist Moore and the businessman Tiffany, created many landmark pieces of American silver and spread the fame of Tiffany & Company silverware. In 1867, at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, Tiffany's became the first American firm to win an award for excellence in silver. Charles L. Tiffany made a landmark decision in 1868, he reached an agreement with Edward C. Moore and purchased the Moore firm. At this juncture, Tiffany & Company became a silver manufacturer as well as a silver retailer. For his part, Edward Moore became a Tiffany stockholder and the general manager of the silverware end of the business. His first important step was to expand production to include flatware manufacturing. In 1869 "Tiffany", the company's first flatware pattern, premiered and the firm moved to new and larger quarters on Union Square. Moore was a cultured man, an avid world traveler and collector of art and objects of the Near & Far East. As the Aesthetic Movement style became fashionable, his innovative nature and knowledge of Eastern art combined with his superlative design skills to bring Tiffany's to the forefront of American silver manufacturers.
Many of the finest Japanesque and Moorish Revival objects ever created, including major presentation pieces, were made by Tiffany & Company at this time.
By the time of Edward Moore's death in 1891, Tiffany & Co. had won major awards at successive European and American Expositions and had become the most internationally respected American silver manufacturer. The founder, Charles L. Tiffany passed on in 1902, leaving a legacy based on sound business judgement and goods of exceptional quality.
Tiffany & Company moved to its present quarters at 5th Avenue & 57th Street in 1940 and remained in the hands of the Tiffany & Moore families until 1955.