An Exceptionally Fine Example of an Early Nineteenth Century Pair of English Regency Neoclassical Single Light Full Lead Hand Cut Candlesticks Lustres with crisp diamond cut bulbous columns above circular star cut bases, firmly attributed to John Blades of Five Ludgate Hill, London.
First quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
The waisted formed diamond cut crystal nozzles above a circular petal rimmed tray suspended with spear cut prisms each on single circular facet buttons.
Condition: Superb condition for such early pieces, just a few flea bites at prism tips. Nice evidence of age wear at bases underneath, one circular tray has a hairline which is not easy to see, see image.
Height: (entire as shown image one) 10" (25.5cm). Diameter: (base) 4.25" (11cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Affordable Fixed Price Worldwide Store to door shipping.
John Blades & Co. was one of the great London glass manufacturers of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, first recorded at 5 Ludgate Hill in 1783, and later gaining a Royal Warrant from George III. The company expanded, creating diplomatic gifts for the Eastern market, e.g. the suites of candelabra sent by the George IV to the Shah of Persia in 1822, beginning a course of events which led to the establishment of a Blades branch in Calcutta. The architect J.B.Papworth not only designed the company's showrooms, but also seems to have designed some of the candelabra, including those sent to the Shah. John Blades died in 1829, but the company continued to trade at the same premises until 1857. Their products are very similar to the works of French Baccarat Crystal in France