An imposing Irish Flame Mahogany twin door Chiffonier Side Cabinet of good size proportions. Made in Dublin by renowned furniture makers Mac, Williams and Gibton. Stafford Street, Dublin. First quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
The rectangular top above a pair of hinged paneled doors flanked by turned circular columns with lavish carved Corinthian style mounts on an inverted platform base.
Condition: Professionally restored. No losses to veneers anywhere, inclusive of its two interior shelves, nice original steel mechanism piece inside, see image.
Stamped on left side area 16225 WILLIAMS & GIBTON.
Height: (entire as shown) 35.75” (91cm). Width: (at base) 46.25” (120cm). Depth: (at top sides) 17.5” (44.5cm).
Affordable fixed charge Worldwide Store to door shipping.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.
Recognized for their high quality of workmanship and access to the best timbers, much like their English rivals Gillows of Lancaster and London. Also like Gillows, the firm regularly labeled their furniture and used a system of impressed numbers, usually with a letter. Much of the furniture they produced was inspired by designs published by Thomas Hope and George Smith.