A Very Impressive Example of a Single Sterling Heavy Silver Cream or Milk Jug of outstanding quality and unusually thick gauge
Last half of the Nineteenth Century.
Of traditional form with angular scroll and moulded thumb applied handle and plain top rim.
Mark of EB for Edward Barnard & Sons.
Assayed in London in 1979.
Condition: Superb condition with no imperfections, nice clear markings, see images.
Height: 4” (10.25cm). Width: (at widest) 5.25” (13.25cm). Depth: (at widest) 4" (10cm).
Total weight: (a very impressive) 13.2ozs. (372 grams).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Fixed price affordable Worldwide Store to door shipping.
Edward Barnard & Sons (1829-2003) was a firm of British silversmiths. They created the Lily Font, a large silver gilt Baptismal Font used in the christening services of members of the British Royal Family.
The company's origins date back to about 1680, when the silversmith Anthony Nelme (d. 1722) established a firm in Ave Maria Lane, London. Edward Barnard (d. 1855) was first manager and in 1829 became the proprietor, trading as Edward Barnard & Sons, with his sons Edward Barnard (d. 1868), John Barnard and William Barnard (d. 1851). In 1838, they moved to Angel Street, London.
The Lily font was commissioned by Queen Victoria from Edward Barnard and Sons, for the christening of her first child, Victoria, Princess Royal on 10 February 1840, her parents first wedding anniversary.
In 1898, they moved to Fetter Lane, and in 1920, to Hatton Garden, London. In 1977, they became a subsidiary of Padgett & Braham, and closed in 2003