An Exceptionally Fine Example of an Early Pair of English Regency Neoclassical Single Light Ormolu Mounted Full Lead Hand Cut Candlesticks Lustres with crisp diamond cut columns above circular star cut bases, firmly attributed to John Blades of Five Ludgate Hill, London.
First quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
The ormolu and diamond cut crystal nozzles above a circular petal rimmed tray suspended with thirteen spear cut prisms each on three circular facet buttons.
Condition: Superb condition for such early pieces, just a few flea bites at prism tips. Nice evidence of age wear at bases underneath, complete with their original ormolu protective candle holders.
Height: (entire as shown image one) 10.5" (26.75cm). Diameter: (base) 3.75" (9.5cm).
Shipped to Ontario, Canada.
Affordable Fixed Price Worldwide Store to door shipping.
John Blades & Co. was one of the great London glass manufacturers of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, first recorded at 5 Ludgate Hill in 1783, and later gaining a Royal Warrant from George III. The company expanded, creating diplomatic gifts for the Eastern market, e.g. the suites of candelabra sent by the George IV to the Shah of Persia in 1822, beginning a course of events which led to the establishment of a Blades branch in Calcutta. The architect J.B.Papworth not only designed the company's showrooms, but also seems to have designed some of the candelabra, including those sent to the Shah. John Blades died in 1829, but the company continued to trade at the same premises until 1857.