Stylish early Victorian rectangular Center Table of compact proportions, firmly attributed to master Irish Cabinet makers Williams & Gibton. Third quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
Constructed in well figured mahogany, the rectangular top with a wide band of Rosewood crossbanding, three lockable drawers at front and similar dummy drawers at back. The plain tapering turned central pod ending on a quadruped inverted base on four bun feet and original castors.
Condition: Good condition, nice surface patination, professionally re-polished.
Height: (entire) 29” (73.5cm). Width: (at top) 30.25" (77cm). Depth: (at top) 18.75” (47.5cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Home approval is offered to Clients within Ireland.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.
Recognized for their high quality of workmanship and access to the best timbers, much like their English rivals Gillows of Lancaster and London. Also like Gillows, the firm regularly labeled their furniture and used a system of impressed numbers, usually with a letter. Much of the furniture they produced was inspired by designs published by Thomas Hope and George Smith.
We are pleased to offer this example of their fine workmanship on-line in good condition.