Look what Patrick Howard Antiques has put up for sale on-line:
703. Pair German Helena Wolfson Dresden Hand Painted Vases Classical Floral Scenes 19th Century
An Exceptionally Fine Quality Pair of Hand Painted Dresden Stoneware Vases and covers, of tapered in hexagonal outline, complete with their original firm fitting dome shaped covers with lobed gilt finials. Last half of the Nineteenth Century.
Each hand painted garden scenes of Courting Couples in Eighteenth Century dress, separated by Floral painted segments depicting old fashioned Summer Flowers on a pale yellow ground.
*In our opinion and the quality of painted decoration these pieces were decorated by Dresden studio of Helena Wolfson.
Condition: Superb condition for such early pieces, no losses or restoration, these vases are unmarked. Back and front views are similar.
Height: (entire as shown) 12.75" (32.5cm). Width: (at widest) 7" (18cm). Width: (at base) 7” (18cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Affordable Fixed Price Worldwide Store to door shipping.
The history and the decorative talents of Helena Wolfsohn are intertwined with the world famous Dresden porcelain. From about 1843 until 1883, Helena Wolfsohn, the woman, as well as the studio baring her name, was a respected decorator of porcelain blanks obtained from a myriad of different porcelain companies. Helena Wolfsohn was most famous for the decorative porcelain pieces she turned out in the distinctive Rocco fashion. The Rocco revival ushered in a era of highly ornate porcelain pieces that featured brightly colored flowers, shells, and foliage
Like many of the other highly skilled decorators in the Dresden area of Germany during that era, Helena Wolfsohn painted in the Dresden, or Meissen, style of decorating porcelain. Other famous decorators of that time period include Karl Richard Klemm, Carl Thieme, and Donath & Co. Each of these decorators used the same Dresden mark while altering it slightly in order to designate the different decorators. The Dresden mark’s primary feature was a stunning crown in blue.
Helena Wolfsohn used the letter D written in script along with the blue Dresden crown as her mark. Her business was turned over to W.E. Stephan and Leopold Elb in 1878. By 1879, the new owners of the Helena Wolfsohn porcelain decorating studio began using a copied Augustus Rex mark that was signified by the letters AR. This mark had been previously registered by the Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur, also known simply as KPM.