Stunning Example of an Exceptional Pair of English Full Lead Hand Cut Crystal Twin Light Electric Wall Sconces of large proportions, first half of the Nineteenth Century.
Firmly attributed to F & C Osler.
Each with twin out swept facet-cut arms and circular petal shaped saucers with ten spear cut hanging prisms. Centered by a tall single upward-pointing tapered decorative spire, mounted on an oval bronze cast backplate
Condition: Good condition for such early pieces, with no losses, just a few tiny flea bites to hanging lusters, these items are unmarked.
Height: (entire) 29.5” (75cm). Width: (can be up to 17" (43cm). Protrudence: 8.5” (24cm).
*Suitable for a ceiling height of 10 feet high and upwards.
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Affordable fixed price Worldwide Store to door shipping.
F & C Osler 1807-1976: One of the best known glass makers in the world was F & C Osler, founded in 1807 by Thomas Osler with premises in Great Charles Street. They later moved to Broad Street in Birmingham. The heyday of the company was between the mid 19th century and 1914. They opened their own glasshouse in Freeth Street in 1849. Thomas Clarkson Osler and Sons, and A Follet Osler were also involved in the company.
The company first operated a glass toy & cutting shop, later expanding into larger items such as chandeliers. The company later became world famous for their very large ornate chandeliers and massive glass structures, including tables and thrones.
The expansion of the company was largely the result of AF Osler's development of a method of building up solid glass around a metal core creating objects of a size and complexity previously thought impossible. The company even manufactured glass staircases. The companies glass products were exported all around the world and a large amount went into the palaces of India. One of the company's greatest pieces was the crystal fountain made for The Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park London which was over eight meters high and contained four tons of crystal.
Interest in heavy cut glass decreased in the 20th century and the company started to concentrate in the production of light fittings.
The glasshouse was closed in 1922 and the Broad Street outlet was closed in 1965. The company went into liquidation in 1976.
Thomas Clarkson Osler set an important precedent for others to follow when in 1871 he established the "Public Picture Gallery Fund" for the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery with a gift of £3000. (Four years later Joseph Chamberlain donated a further £1000 for the purchase of Industrial Art.