522. Irish Dublin Georgian Burl Walnut Brass Bound Traveling Writing Slope Box


An Exceptionally Fine Quality Irish Well Figured Solid Burr Walnut Ladies or Gents Travelling Writing Slope of outstanding quality and large proportions, with unusual moulded brass inlay decoration and central shield shaped brass tablet on hinged lid, first quarter of the 19th Century, complete with original fitted interior and later gilt tooled dark red leather writing surface. An unusual mechanism reveals twin secret drawers, see image. 

Condition: Professionally restored with replaced gold leaf tooled leather inside which is beautifully executed. Box closes firmly with no gaps. Lock and key are present however key does not turn the lock. Two crystal ink bottles of a later period, nice original firm hinges. Engraved “George A C Long”. Paper label Austins 39 Westmorland Street Dublin 

Height: 6.25” (16cm). Width: 16” (40cm). Depth: 9.5” (24cm. 

Eur.985.00. 

Location: Dublin City, Ireland. 

Affordable fixed charge Worldwide Store to door shipping

George Austin was registered at 7 St Andrew's Street in Dublin Ireland in 1827 but likely that his business had been established some years prior. He made and sold Writing Desks & Travelling Slopes, Dressing Cases and Military Canteens as well as fancy goods.  By 1840 his shop was known as Austin's Manufactory.  His son (Thomas) joined the business and soon after they win a silver medal from the Royal Dublin Society at the exhibition of 1844. In 1847 George was appointed cabinet maker to Lord Clarendon (Lord Lieutenant of Ireland). The business expanded into larger premises at 39 Westmoreland Street where in 1862 the Dublin Street directory lists Thomas and George Austin as dressing case and dispatch box manufactures to the Viceregal Court, cutlers, stationers and importers of French and foreign fancy goods, late of St Andrews, Street. In 1883 Austin & Company Ltd acquire the business and purchase No 38 Westmoreland Street in an effort to expand and advertise that they are now selling repousse work, jewellery and china. In 1891, Edward R Moore, buyer and Managing partner resigns and sets up his own company in competition at 86 Grafton Street.  In August 1891 the shareholders decide on the voluntary liquidation of the company due to the ill health of Thomas K Austin. 

*This is a wonderful rare example of a piece of long-lost Irish history