Superb English Crystal and Sterling Silver Claret Jug of outstanding quality and Design, by Renowned Silversmiths William Hutton & Sons Ltd.
The traditional cylindrical body with spreading base with star cut detail underneath mounted with a plain silver mount and flat hinged lid and a square formed handle.
Mark of WS&L for William Hutton. Hanley Street, Birmingham.
Birmingham Hallmark for 1907.
Condition: This piece is in perfect condition, no clouding to inside.
Height: 10.75" (27.25cm). Diameter: (at base) 5" (12.75cm). Depth: (at base) 5" (12.75cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Worldwide Store to door shipping offered.
William Hutton: The firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred to Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).
After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder's son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843).
William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons.
A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).
In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.
The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks.
The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton). The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.