Rare French Bronze & Marble Twin Ink Desk Stand of large size, raised on three ball supports, mid Nineteenth Century.
The central bronze depicts a cast model of the Warwick urn with classical heads and reeded entwined twin handles, complete with its original pressed glass liner which fits perfectly and is in perfect condition. Flanked by two large inkwells with hinged covers.
Condition: Good condition, lacking one glass ink liner. Foundry mark as shown "Maison Susse"
Width: 15" (38.5cm). Depth: 8" (20.25cm).
Shipped to Buxton, Derbyshire, England.
The Maison Susse, a famous Nineteenth Century foundry honoured with many international prizes, has a history which goes back almost two centuries. The Susse family were from Lorraine where they specialised in furniture making before moving to Paris and turning their attentions to other business activities like selling paper and artist's materials.
The Susse Foundry opened on 27th June 1827 with the signing of the first contract in which the Artist Charles Cumberworth agreed the rights to cast an edition of the statuette Napolitaine. In 1839 the brothers acquired a factory in the Rue du Faubourg du Temple. They won major contracts to produce editions of Dalou's work in 1899 and Carpeaux's work in 1914.
In 1975 Arlette Susse decided to sell the family business. To-day the Susse Foundry in Arcueil is the last great 19th Century Foundry still operating.
MORE: Pierre Jules Mene died in 1877 but his foundries were kept open by his son-in-law, Auguste Cain. Cain continued to produce his own bronzes as well as ones by Mene until Cain's death in 1894. The foundries were shut down and most of the molds were sold to the Susse Freres Foundry.
The Susse Freres Foundry continued to produce Mene's animal sculptures well into the 20th Century, so if you own a piece it could well be from this second generation of bronzes. Most of the pieces cast during Mene's lifetime do not bear foundry marks, those produced by Susse do show a foundry mark.