An Extremely Rare Pair of Hand Decorated Irish Delftware Cabinet Dublin Plates by Henry Delamain, each decorated with Chrysanthinams and foliage in colours of blue.
Condition: Exceptional condition for such early pieces, as is typical of Delft there is very slight fritting to the rims.
Diameter: 9.25" (23.5cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Worldwide Store to door shipping offered.
Captain Henry II Delamain (1687 Kilkenny -1789, Kildare)
During the 1730's a Belfast merchant, John Chambers moved south to establish the renowned World’s End pottery in Dublin. In the 1750's Captain Henry Delamain took over these works and with an enormous financial investment transformed the pottery's fortunes. The most famous of all their products was the superbly painted romantic landscapes, which were unlike anything produced in Britain at that time. More recent research has produced a range of polychrome wares, and a further group painted more crudely in blue and white has been discovered through archaeological investigations in Virginia
Captain Henry III DELAMAIN (1713-1757) son of Henry II DELAMAIN, started his career as a soldier as he served for 20 in the army of the Prince of Saxe Coburg Gotha (in the Austrian War of Succession) in Flanders where he learned the art of Delftware before returning to Dublin to his father's business.
However, prior to being established in Dublin he seems to have spent some time in Battersea (1750-1754) being a partner in the enamel factory of expensive objets de vertu; Janssen's partner Henry Delamain (1713-1757) was a trained potter who worked at the firm until 1754, presumably advising on furnaces and the management of the batch firing techniques that helped reduce production costs.
Examples of this rare pottery can be seen in museums in Ireland to-day. His Battersea enamels are museum pieces which could be seen in the V & A Museum in London, together with his Irish delftware.
Further reading and more similar examples see "Irish Delftware" a book all about the exhibition of Delftware at Castletown House Celbridge Co. Kildare.
Also, "Irish Delftware" by Peter Francis