An Extremely Rare Pair of Hand Painted Irish Dublin Porcelain Circular Cabinet Plates by Herbert Cooper, last quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
Each Plate with reticulated rim, lavishly gilded inside a pierced border.
Plate one shows Kilkee, an Irish seaside Town in County Clare, the other shows Ballybunion a seaside town in County Kerry.
Condition: Mint condition, no wear to gilding, one plate is signed H, Cooper and dated 1894.
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Worldwide Store to door shipping.
The Queen’s Institute for the Training and Employment of Educated Women, Painting on Porcelain School was founded in 1870, and was based at Molesworth Street, Dublin. The impetus to establish the enterprise came from W.H. Kerr (of Belleek and Worcester fame). In 1869 Kerr invited Porcelain Artist Herbert Cooper (born in 1842-1916) to manage the school. Painted designs by Cooper and the women of the Institute generally consisted of Landscape and Floral Views.
Cooper also collaborated with the very successful and well known Ceramic Designer Frederick Vodrey on Moore Street in Dublin City, this relationship lasted only for a short period of time.
We are pleased to offer these two very rare plates for sale on-line.